Rostock University of Music and Drama sets great store by practical training for its students. This is supported by partnerships with theatres, orchestras, associations and colleges. Here you will find an overview of ongoing partnerships which provide practical experience during the students’ musical training.
Volkstheater Rostock, Norddeutsche Philharmonie Rostock, Theater Vorpommern
In May 2008, the Theater Vorpommern (Theatre of West Pomerania) and its Philharmonic Orchestra joined the Volkstheater Rostock and Norddeutsche Philharmonie Rostock as another partner offering practical experience on stage and in the orchestra.
After auditioning successfully, students at the hmt are offered the opportunity to work as substitutes and extras with the professional orchestras or to sing in musical theatre performances. Soloists and student conductors can rehearse with the orchestra.
The partnership agreement concluded with the Berlin Staatskapelle and its principal conductor Daniel Barenboim is particularly important.
Visits to rehearsals, workshops, artists forums and master classes with outstanding soloists, conductors and directors offer unparalleled opportunities to promote the artistic development of hmt students.
The Mecklenburg Wind Academy, run in cooperation with members and teachers of the Berlin Staatskapelle’s orchestral academy, is a major enhancement of the training received by students in the university´s wind department.
Rostock University and Rostock University of Music and Drama cooperate in the following areas:
- Coordinating teacher training
- Developing the Master’s degree course in musicology with the Faculty of Philosophy at Rostock University
- In the area of doctoral education, the institute of musicology and music education is collaborating with eleven scientists in three faculties at Rostock University on the postgraduate course “Cultural Contact and Scientific Discourse” sponsored by the DFG (German Research Foundation), which offers regular interdisciplinary lectures as well as carrying out research work.
- Mutual support in the area of scientific research
- Cooperation between the university and college libraries
State Music Schools
The music schools of the state of Mecklenburg-West Pomerania are cooperative partners for students on all of our music courses. They can gain practical teaching experience here.
Mecklenburg-West Pomerania Festival
Since 2005, Rostock University of Music and Drama has been running an INTERNATIONAL SUMMER CAMPUS in cooperation with the Mecklenburg-West Pomerania Festival. For the master class courses at the SUMMER CAMPUS, this means that the Norddeutsche Philharmonie Rostock directed by Wojciech Rajski is at the disposal of the master class students (soloists) for orchestral rehearsals and concert performances. The Festival also incorporates an orchestral concert with teachers at the SUMMER CAMPUS and three orchestral concerts with students on the master class courses into its programme in Rostock and surroundings.