Pop and world music with classical music (piano, guitar, bass, saxophone, drums, voice)
The “Pop and World Music with Classic” course is available in two forms:
- a vocal course for singers
- an instrumental course for guitarists, bass players, pianists, saxophonists and percussionists.
What makes this course at hmt Rostock so special is that the main subject focuses not only on pop styles, but is almost equally weighted towards classical music! This makes the course the only one of its kind in Germany.
- Official length of the programme: four years, 240 ECTS-credits
- Start of the course: summer semester as well as winter semester
- Application period: 1 October to 1 December for the summer semester. 1 March to 1 May for the winter semester.
- University Degree: Bachelor of Music
- Language: The knowledge of German is essential for the course. Please check the level of linguistic ability required for your course.
- Teaching stuff pop- and world music
You are keen to make music your career.
Perhaps you’re not yet sure what style you prefer… focusing solely on “classical” music might be too monotonous, concentrating on pop, rock, jazz or other styles might be too superficial…so you are looking for a course which combines a lot of different things.
Or, after many years spent playing in various bands, you may suddenly find that studying classical music would open up a whole new horizon!
You have already…
... undergone a lengthy period of musical training in guitar, piano, bass, saxophone, percussion or singing, for example in the classical style, and have also gained experience in the pop, rock or jazz genres.
Or was it the other way round…? No matter!
You would like to…
... … explore and improve your vocal or instrumental skills – in any style.
You would also like to improve your knowledge of music, music history, instruments etc. and acquire the necessary theoretical basis.
... … you want to work creatively as a musician, compose your own music…
… and of course keep with the times by using computer sequencing and music printing programs, compile your own playbacks, gain your first studio experience by recording your own songs…
You could also imagine…
... … working as a music teacher, and are therefore looking for an excellent course of training.
You want to teach your future pupils a repertoire encompassing all kinds of music from Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart to Billy Joel, from George Frideric Handel to Ivan Lins or from Cole Porter to Yousson N'Dour, to name just a few examples.
…to encourage everyone who wants to undergo an extensive course of study in “Pop and World Music” and expand their musical horizons by undergoing a course of classical training to apply to hmt Rostock.
This course will open up additional career opportunities on the freelance market, because you will be able to do justice to many different musical genres, giving you a versatility which will put you in great demand.
Most graduates also work as music teachers; the solid educational foundation we offer is excellent preparation for this type of work.
Applicants will be examined in their main subject, i.e. in pop and classical music; the aptitude test will also evaluate their knowledge of music theory and aural training. They must also give a short performance at the piano, even if they are not primarily pianists.
For more details and for the requirements for the vocal course please view the German version.
Aptitude test in main subject (supplement to the aptitude test regulations of Rostock University of Music and Drama)
The aptitude test consists of two parts:
I. Pop and world music
- Candidates must prepare four pieces in various styles: pop & rock, jazz & blues, funk & soul and world music.
- The works chosen must cover three of these genres and include varying tempi, dynamics and forms of articulation.
- The theme, accompanying chorus and solo chorus must be performed in at least one of these works.
- Differences in tonal colour should also be shown, as far as the respective instrument allows (e.g. distortion on the guitar, various sounds on the piano/keyboard etc.)
- Extra credit will be given for the candidate’s own arrangements or compositions (the score must be provided in such cases).
- Every instrumentalist should demonstrate basic improvisational abilities, both independently and integrated into a song. The improvisations should also reflect the candidate’s musical creativity.
- The test will also comprise a simple sight-reading exercise.
The accompaniment for this part of the examination can by all means be provided by the candidate’s own combo or – if due notice is given – by a combo made up of college students. 50% of part I of the test can also be performed with play-along. If (piano) accompaniment is required, the score should be submitted to the course secretary’s office at the hmt no less than 14 days before the test.
Applicants must prepare at least 3 works from different classical eras, e.g. Viennese classical, Romantic, classical modern.
- The works chosen must vary in character and come from three different eras.
- Performances are expected to last for at least 10-15 minutes.
A fee of 50 Euro is charged for processing your application for admission. Please transfer this amount when you submit your application.
Concerts of our Students
Please find more live recordings on our hmt-YouTube-Chanal.
Back zu DEGREE COURSES