Bachelor of Music Winds
If you are interested in studying one of the brass instruments - flute, oboe, clarinet, bassoon, trumpet, trombone, tuba, horn or saxophone - this course is exactly what you are looking for.
Applicants who wish to enrol at the University of Music and Drama have to provide proof of entitlement (normally: “Abitur”– general/specialized higher education entrance qualification or foreign equivalent). As an exception for music studies and on request, this document might be complemented or replaced by a certificate verifying the passed entrance examination to the Hochschule für Musik und Theater Rostock. Applicants also need to have completed their compulsory education or will presumably have done so before they start their studies.
- Official Length of the programme: four years, 240 ECTS-credits
- Start of the course: winter semester as well as summer semester
- Application period: 1 October to 1 December for the summer semester. 1 March to 1 May for the winter semester.
- University Degree: Bachelor of Music
- Teaching stuff
The course provides a basis for professional work in symphony and chamber orchestras or chamber music ensembles. Some graduates will also teach at music schools. Those students who stand out through artistic excellence might either pursue their studies and apply for a Master’s course (and maybe also qualify for the 3rd artistic cycle, “Konzertexamen”) or start their career immediately.
After 8 semesters, career opportunities can usually be discussed with the principal instructor who will give appropriate advice. Master’s courses in Orchestra, Chamber Music and Music Education provide an interesting option for those graduates in Wind Instruments who wish to enhance their studies.
Foreign students whose native language is not German must provide evidence that their knowledge of German is sufficient for their chosen course.
For the Bachelor’s degree (Strings), students are required to have reached level B2 as defined by the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages.
Applicants’ linguistic competence will be established during the aptitude test.
You will find further information in the Aptitude Test Regulations and Matriculation Regulations (only in German) of Rostock University of Music and Drama.
We have altered our conditions for the aptitude test due to the current COVID-19 crisis.
Please submit one single video recording (one take, uncut, no post-editing) comprising 3 works/work parts differing in character and stylistic period with a medium level of difficulty (total play time: 20 minutes min., 30 minutes max.)
Saxophone: In addition to the 3 works/work parts, two jazz standards (with improvisations when required), the duration of all presented parts have to be shortened accordingly so that the toal play time is not exceeded.
- G. Kopprasch, Nr.19/Heft 1
- B. E. Müller, Etude Nr. 4/Heft 2
- W. A. Mozart, Concert Es-Dur KV 417, Concert Es-Dur KV 447
- F. Strauss, Concert, op. 8
- P. Hindemith, Sonata in F 1939
- B. Hummel, Sonatina op.75 a
- Arban, Variationen über ein Thema von Norma (Bellini) oder Der Karneval in Venedig
- Arutunian, Konzert As-Dur
- Balay, andante er Allegretto oder Prelude er Ballade
- Bozza, Badinage
- Gaubert, Cantabile er Scherzetto
- Hansen, Sonata in Es-Dur
- Hummel, Konzert in Es-Dur
- Neruda,Konzert in Es-Dur
- Pares, Premier Solo
- Pennequin, Morceau de Concert
- Tomé, Fantasie
- G. Kopprasch, Etüden
- B. Grigoriew, Etüden
- F. David Concertino
- N. Rimski-Korsakow, Konzert 1. und 2.
- A. Guilmant Morceau Symphonique
- G. P. Telemann Sonata
- C. Saint-Saëns, Cavatine
- L. Grøndahl Konzert
- H. Tomasi Konzert
- E. Sachse Konzert
- A. Lebedjew Konzert 1&2
- E. Bozza New Orleans
Scales and broken triads in all keys
- 2 etudes of different characters e.g. Kopprasch, Blazhewitsch, Bordogni
- 2 recital pieces or movements from concerts of different epochs e.g. B. Marcello - Sonata in F
- H. Eccles - Sonata
- G.F. Händel - Concerto No. 1 g-Minor
- A. Capuzzi - Andante and Allegro
- A. Lebedjew - Concerto No. 1
- E. Gregson - Tuba Concerto
- P. Hindemith - Sonata
- R.V. Williams - Concerto
Examples of works for woodwinds
- Concerts by Stamitz, Quantz, Hofmeister or Mozart
- J. S. Bach or G.F. Händel, Sonatas
- C. Reinicke, Ballade
- A. Roussel, Andante et Scherzo op. 51
- G. Fauré, Fantaisie op. 79
- P. Hindemith, Sonata or 8 pieces for flute solo
- E. Varése, Density 21,5
- R. Dick, Flying Lessong
- Karl Mille, Etudes
- A. Lebrun, Concerts
- Vivaldi, Sonatas or Concerts
- F. Krommer, Concerts
- J. Haydn, Concert C-Dur
- R. Schumann, 3 Romances op. 94
- C. Saint Saëns, Sonata op.166
- P. Hindemith, Sonata
- Telemann, Fantasies
- G. Schreck, Sonata
- B. Britten, 6 Metamorphoses after Ovid op. 49
- C. M. v. Weber, Concertino Es-Dur
- R. Schumann, Fantasiestücke, op. 73 for clarinet and piano
- P. Hindemith, Sonata
- W. Lutoslawski, Dancing Preludes
- F. Krommer, Concert Es-Dur
- F. Danzi, one concert
- I. Strawinsky, 3 pieces for clarinet solo
- J. Brahms, one Sonata from op. 120 F-Moll or Es-Dur
- F. Poulenc, Sonata
- C. Saint-Saëns, sonata for clarinet ans piano op. 164
- E. Bozza, Fantaesie Italienne
- H. Sutermeister, Capriccio for clarinet solo
- L. Milde, Fitty Concert Studies op. 26
- W. A. Mozart, Concert B-Dur
- V. Bruns, 2. Bassoon Concert
- A. Vivaldi, Concert e-Minor
- J. B. Boismortier, two sonatas op. 50
- C. M. von Weber, Andante e Rondo Ungarese op. 35, Concert F-Dur
- G. Jacob, Concerto for Bassoon and Strings
- Pièrre-Max Dubois, Dix Figures à Dancer", die Nrn.: 1., 3., 5., 9. u.10. for alto saxophone and piano (Edition Leduc)
- Alexander Glaunow, Condert for Saxophone op. 109, 1. movement, for alto saxophone and piano or similar
- Edith Lejet, trois petit préludes for alto saxophone and piano (Editions Henry Lemoine)
If you want to use not only the alto saxophone, please choose works similar to the level of the given works for alto saxophone. If you have any questions, plase contact a saxophone teacher at hmt (contact details are on the website).
Presentation of two jazz standards with different styles (with piano accompaniment or from tape)
One of the two pieces may be played without an improvisation, but at least one piece must contain an improvisation (free and without accompaniment)
Examples for the jazz standards
Two movements from the sonata for altosaxophone and piano by Phil Woods (by choice with or without improvisation) or by Bob Mintzer (for soprano/tenor/alto saxophone and piano)
Each video has to start with a short introduction (your name, your application number, the title of the piece you are about to present). The video has to be filmed in one take and live, which means the material must not be cut or post-edited. There is no need for professional video production. Videos taken with your mobile phone are absolutely fine. However, you should be clearly visible and audible whilst playing your instrument. The video should be framed to show the whole person.
You will receive further information how and where to upload the videos till 17.05.2021. All videos have to be uploaded till 27.05.2021! So please prepare your video material already now!
If the board of examiners decides that your application should advance to the next round, you will be invited till 15.06.2021.
You will also have to take tests in your respective compulsory subjects (music theory and ear training, piano). Additionally, foreign students have to pass a German proficiency test.
We look forward to your application.
A fee of 50 Euro is charged for processing your application for admission. Please transfer this amount when you submit your application.
We will gladly advise you personally!
Mrs Hanka Paschedag
Study Office for Music
fon +49 381 5108 222
fax +49 381 5108 201
Prof. Jamie Williams,Head of Brass
Prof. Gregor Witt, Head of Woodwind
Visit our university information day in April!
Back to DEGREE COURSES